Rogers' Share Everything for Business is a flexible wireless plan that lets you work the way you want to. You start by choosing a device Tab and adding extra lines for your team at a discounted rate. You can also customize your plan with add-on services. Everyone enjoys the same features, and shares one pool of data.
When presented with so many options, customers were unclear about what the difference between device tabs was, if they noticed the different types of tabs at all. Quite a few customers breezed right past the tab selector and went straight to choosing their plan with the default tab selected.
This lack of clarity lead to drop-off and a significant amount of customers calling in to purchase plans, costing the business around $10 per call.
This is how the original Share Everything for Business landing page used to display tabs. On top of unclear copy and an unappealing table layout, a tab was pre-selected on page load, not exactly encouraging customers to click around to learn about the different tabs.
First and foremost our goal was to decrease the call-in rate and increase online purchases, saving the business money per call.
In order to accomplish that we needed to provide our customers with sufficient knowledge about our tabs and plans. We needed a solution that would cater to existing customers looking to change their plans, and new customers.
Before I could help customers understand our tabs and plans, I first had to master them.
After a lot of question asking I discovered that even my fellow employees didn't fully understand what the different tabs meant. This project was turning out to be trickier than I had initially thought. I dug deeper, looked at previous research, and spoke with internal marketing specialists before beginning some rough wireframes.
My designs started off pretty generic. While greatly improving the layout of the page, I wasn’t really solving the issue of our tabs being difficult to understand. I scoured the web to see what how our competitors were solving the problem. Turns out they weren't doing it any better than we were. Complex plans and tab modules seemed to be inherent in the telecommunications industry.
The wireframes went through several iterations, eventually leading us to the idea of a plan builder. A choose-your-own-adventure type questionnaire that would walk customers through their wireless needs, eventually suggesting 2-3 plans for them, without bombarding them with all the jargon.
And with our focus shifting from just a landing page to adding the plan builder I began another round of iterative wireframing.
With a concrete idea in hand I slowly started adding more details, transforming the wireframes into medium-fidelity mockups. The addition of all the information caused the designs to change quite significantly, it had been difficult to account for certain details using gray boxes and minimal text. It was like peeling back the layers of an onion, every time I added a detail I learned more about how our plans worked and restructured the design accordingly.
After dozens of iterations, discoveries, and business requirements, we finally settled on a design. We broke down the experience into two parts. The first was the landing page, where experienced customers could come and view our featured plans or all our plans in a single place. The second was the plan builder section, where new customers could answer some quick questions and receive suggested plans.
I polished the mockups and created an interactive prototype that was socialized and well received by stakeholders.